Matches 51 to 100 of 8,794
|| Linked to
FIND A GRAVE:
Born in Newton, Mr Straway had lived in Sparta since 1946. He was employed for 29 years by the Sparta Township Public Works Dept.
He served with the US Army during WWII, in the 2488 Quartermaster Truck Co. in the European theater.
He was a former member of the Sparta Ambulance Squad, a member of the Sussex County Peace Officers Assoc., the founder of the Smoky Ridge Rod & Gun Club of Sparta and from 1965 to 1986 he served as a special Police officer for Sparta.
He was predeceased by his wife Pearl in 1986.
He is survived by;
sons; Raymond, Robert, Arthur, and George.
bros; Rhinehard and Floyd.
sisters; Frances Pierson, Fay Shauger, & Clara Strode.
A private creamation was held Thursday at the Rosedale Creamatory, Orange NJ. No other services or visitation is scheduled.
Pearl Courtright Straway (1923 - 1986)*
*Point here for explanation
Cremated, Location of ashes is unknown.
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: DakotaRoseZ
Record added: Apr 15, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 35894863
|STRAWAY, Raymond F. (I55531)
FIND A GRAVE:
Per family genealogist Patsy Jackson:
Together with their newborn son, Charles William, W.B.'s son from a previous marriage George Walter age 7, and W.B's sister, they came to Texas. The first documented place they have been found in was Anderson County, where they are listed on the 1880 US Census. (Anderson County appears to have been a common entry point into Texas.) Family history states that his sister married a man named Suggs and settled near Troup, Smith County TX. From Anderson County they next traveled to Plank, in Hardin County . W.B. was a farmer and they operated a sawmill at Plank, TX. Next they moved to Trinity County near the town of Glendale. While in Trinity County he operated a sawmill. They buried their five month old son, Albert Carroll, in the Glendale Cemetery in October 1884. On November 11, 1895, W.B. Munson bought an 80 acre tract of land in Polk County, TX at 10 Mile Board for $1800.00, from the estate of James Fowler. William Berry and Julia Ann moved Ten Mile Board with their children. Family history records that they moved into a "cabin" until their new two-story home was completed. The drive way to their home was lined with cedar trees. There primary occupation was farming.
Henry Owen Munson (1883 - 1934)*
Oscar Lee Munson (1889 - 1970)*
Julia Ann Predmore Munson (1862 - 1925)
*Point here for explanation
Blue Water Cemetery
|MUNSON, William Berry (I40751)
I originally had Thomas Gates as the son of Peter and Mary Josselyn. However, after reading "the English Origins of Stephen Gates, 1638 Immigrant to Massachusetts, by Edward J. Harrison) (NEGH Jan2006, vol. 160) challenged Stephen's descent from Peter Gates and Mary Josselyn. Based on the dates given, it is impossible for Peter (born circa 1583) and Mary to be the grandparents of Stephen who was born circa 1600. The entries in the Hingham parish registers show no evidence that Stephen's father was named Thomas.
The Gates family is one of the ancient Colonial families of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the progenitor of the branch of the family here considered having been conspicuous in the early settlement of several of the towns in Massachusetts, which state has since been the home of numerous of his descendants, many of whom have been the leading spirits in their several communities, among whom may be mentioned the late Samuel Pearly Gates, of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, who broad charity, benevolence and high efficiency easily made him in many ways the guardian and counsellor of that community.
Stephen, the first of the name in New England was a native of England, born at Norwich, in the county of Norfolk, the son of Thomas Gates. Stephen came to New England in the ship "Diligent", in 1638. He settled first at Hingham, Massachusetts. He was accompanied by his wife and children. In1652 he located at Cambridge, and later at Lancaster, where he was one of the largest proprietors of the town, and was one of the petitioners for its incorporation in 1654; he was also constable there in 1657. Returning to Cambridge he spent the remainder of his life there where he died in 1662. He was admitted a freeman May 14, 1656, He was in Lancaster in 1656 and for a few years afterward, but disagreed with some of his neighbors and left town, returning to Cambridge. His will was dated June 9, 1662, and proved November 24, 1662.
Excerpt from "New England Historical and Genealogical Register": He settled in Hingham, Mass., where he received a grant of three acres for a house lot, twelve acres for a "greate Lott,: and a three acre planting lot. His house lot was on Town (now North) Street and was bounded on the north by the street, on the east by William Buckland's land and upon the west by the town swamp. In 1647 he received a grant of half an acre of salt marsh. On 26 June 1648 he sold his house lot, etc., to William Hersey, but remained in town for some time before his removal. Stephen Gates and his wife probably did not become members of the Hingham Church until about 3 May 1646, when their children Simon, Thomas, Isaac and REbecca were baptized. Birth dates of the children are not found in the Hingham town records...... In 1658 there was trouble between the Gates and Whitcomb families due to the fact that three sons of JOhn Whitcomb had killed three swine belonging to Stephen Gates. Whitcomb agreed to pay for the swine, but afterwared sought to be released from paying, claiming that he was "aged & Weak and mean in estate." The court decided that he must pay for the swine. It is stated that Stephen Gates was deprived of his constable's staff. This probably occurred after his failure to nitify the voters about the meeting, to which reference has been made. At the time of the Gates-Whitcomb trouble Stephen Gates was living in Sudbury, Mass..
|GATES, Stephen (I24450)
In memory of Joseph Merrihew who died Jan 26th 1834 in the 67th year of his age
Vain man thy fond persuits (sic)forber(sic)
Repent, thy end is nigh, Death at the farthest can't be far, O! think before thou die.
|MERRIHEW, Joseph (I77355)
John was born to Walter Butler and Deborah Dennison, née Ely, in New London, Connecticut in 1728. In 1742, his father moved the family to Fort Hunter on the frontier in the Mohawk Valley near modern Fonda, New York. The Walter Butler Homestead was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. In 1752, he married Catherine (Catalyntje) Bradt, and the couple raised five children (two others died in infancy). He knew several Indian languages and was employed as an interpreter.
In 1755, he was made Captain in the Indian department and saw service in the French and Indian War under William Johnson. He saw action at Fort Ticonderoga, the Battle of Fort Frontenac, the Battle of Fort Niagara, and Montreal. At the Battle of Fort Niagara he was second in command of the Indians.
After the war he came home, and built his estate up to 26,000 acres (105 km²) at Butlersbury, near Caughnawaga. He was second only to Sir William Johnson as a wealthy frontier land owner. He was a judge in the Tryon County court and was appointed Lt.-Colonel of Guy Johnson's regiment of Tryon County militia. Butler worked under Sir William Johnson in the Indian department. Butler was one of the two members representing Tryon County in the New York assembly.
Butler returned to service as a Loyalist when the American Revolution turned to war in 1775. In May, 1775, he left for Canada in the company of Daniel Claus, Walter Butler, Hon Yost Schuyler and Joseph Brant. On July 7, they reached Fort Oswego and in August, Montreal. He was involved in the defense of Montreal against an attack led by Ethan Allen. In November, Carleton sent him to Fort Niagara with instructions to keep the Indians neutral.
His oldest son Walter Butler served with him, but his wife and other children were detained by the American rebels.
In March, 1777 he sent a party of about one hundred Indians to Montreal to force the Americans out of Quebec. In May, Butler received instructions to employ a body of the Six Nations in an attack on New York. On June 5 he received instructions to send as many Indians as he could to Fort Oswego for an attack on Fort Stanwix as a part of the Saratoga campaign. He was put second in command of the Indians, under Daniel Claus.
He led the Indians and a small number of Loyalists in a successful ambush in the Battle of Oriskany. As a result, after this expedition he was commissioned a lieutenant colonel and given authority to raise his own regiment, which became known as Butler's Rangers, initially with a strength of eight companies. He traveled back to Fort Niagara and the first company was completed in December.
In July 1778, Butler led his rangers and Iroquois allies at the Battle of Wyoming, in which he defeated Zebulon Butler and took Forty Fort. The Patriots suffered heavy losses, and after the battle many homes in the area were burned. Later, the battle was referred to as the Wyoming Valley massacre because some of the victorious Loyalists and Iroquois were said to have executed and scalped prisoners and fleeing enemy soldiers.
The American novelist, Joseph Altsheler referred to John Butler as "Indian Butler" in a novel about the Wyoming Massacre, and called him a turncoat and villain who sided with the Indians against the white settlers.
Later that year, after the burning of Tioga, his son Captain Walter Butler led two companies of rangers and 300 Iroquois allies in a raid which was later referred to as the Cherry Valley massacre. The name of Butler was thereafter anathema to the rebels.
His unit of rangers was spread through frontier outposts from Niagara to Illinois. Butler himself commanded from Fort Niagara. In 1779, he was defeated by the Sullivan Expedition at the Battle of Newtown, and withdrew to Fort Niagara.
At the end of the Revolution, Butler once again turned to farming in the Niagara region. He became one of the leaders of Upper Canada, later called Ontario. He was a Deputy Superintendent for the Indian Department, a Justice of the Peace, and the local militia commander. He was also prominent in establishing the Anglican Church and Masonic Order in Ontario.
Butler died at Niagara on May 12, 1796. His wife had died three years prior. He was survived by three sons and a daughter. He is interred in the family burial ground in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.
A school in Niagara-On-The-Lake is named after him as are numerous other establishments including a Best Western Hotel, a sports bar, a street leading to the family burial ground on land that was his former property, and the Butler's Brracks NHS built immediately after the War of 1812. In 2006, Lt-Col Butler was honoured by the Canadian Government with a life-sized bronze bust located at the Valiants Memorial in Ottawa. Alongside Joseph Brant, he is considered a key player in the founding of British North America and eighteenth-century Canada. In 2010, a bust was installed on top of a memorial cairn at the site of his homestead in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.
|BUTLER, Col. John (I09487)
Northwest Indiana Times
Timothy G. Vesa Crown Point Timothy G. Vesa, age 52, of Crown Point, passed away Sunday, March 21, 2004. He attended Lake Hills Baptist Church, past member of Glen Park Baptist Church. He was employed as an Administrative Assistant for the School Town of Munster and the Ross Township Athletic and Special Events Coordinator where he coordinated and was the director of the softball league at Hidden Lake in Merrillville. He was also a AWANA Commander. He was preceded in death by his parents Theodore and Sylvia Vesa. Survived by his wife: Beth Vesa (nee Raspopovich) of Crown Point. Daughter: Kya Vesa at home. Sister: Carol Vesa of Merrillville. Two brothers Ted (Janet) Vesa of Columbia City, IN and David (Patti) Vesa of Mesquite, Texas. In-laws: George and Emily Raspopovich of Schererville. Brothers-in-law: Scott (Paula) Raspopovich of Largo, FL, Randy Raspopovich of Crown Point, Ross (Donna) Raspopovich of Schererville and Bill (Brenda) Raspopovich of Merrillville. Numerous Nieces and Nephews. Funeral Services will be held Wednesday, March 24, 2004, 11:00 a.m. at Geisen Funeral Home, 7905 Broadway, Merrillville, IN. Reverend Marvin B. Troyer officiating. Burial to follow at Calumet Park Cemetery, Merrillville. Friends may call at the Geisen Funeral Home on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 from 2:00 to 8:00 P.M.
Published in The Times from 3/22/2004 - 3/24/2004.
|VESA, Timothy Gabriel (I58466)
Notes from "Commemorative Portrait and Biographical Record of Kane and Kendall Counties, Ill.: Alonzo D. Chaffee, a highly esteemed citizen and a thrifty, energetic and prominent farmer of Campton Township, owns a highly cultivated dairy farm on Section 21, comprising 140 acres of land, and takes an interest in fine stock, with which his farm is well supplies. He originally came from Windham County, Vermont, where he was born August 31, 1839.
Alonzo D. Chaffee made his home with his parents, attending the district school and also Mount Morris Seminary until the age of twenty, when he branched out for himself, buying a part of the old homestead, it being the fine farm upon which he now resides. October 7, 1863, he was united in marriage with Phoebe A. Padelford, a native of Elgin county, Canada, where she was born June 11, 1844, a daughter of J.F. and Prudence (Pound) Padelford, of Massachusetts and Canada, respectively. Five children have been the result of this union Charles A., a talented Christian young man of much promise, who was frowned May 11, 1886, when nearly twenty-one years old, while attending school at Aurora: Willie E., who died December 18, 1872; Mary A; Franklin E. ; and Rosie, who died December 31, 1881. Mr and Mrs. Chaffee and daughter are prominent members of the church. In politics he is a Republican, having been elected to several town offices, such as trustee of schools, and assessor, which position he holds at the present time....
|CHAFFEE, Alonzo Duane (I10491)
Savannah Morning News:
Vincent A. Fagerstrom - HINESVILLE - Vincent A. Fagerstrom, 76, died Sunday, August 16, 2009 at Candler Hospital after a long illness. Mr. Fagerstrom was born on January 18, 1933 in Sister Bay, WI to the late Waldemar and Hilda Fagerstrom. He served in the United States Army for twenty-nine years and was a Vietnam Veteran. Attaining the rank of Command Sergeant Major, he retired in 1981. Mr. Fagerstrom has lived in Hinesville for the past thirty years where he enjoyed Braves Baseball, his Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren, and collecting vintage Thunderbirds. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his brother, Rudy Fagerstrom. He is survived by his loving wife of 53 years, Masako Matsui Fagerstrom of Hinesville;three sons and daughters-in-law, Michael V. and Ann Fagerstrom of Rose Bud, TX, Dean E. and Sharon Fagerstrom of Savannah and Bruce R. and Pascale Fagerstrom of Sykesville, MD; two brothers, Glen Fagerstrom of Sister Bay, WI and Donald Fagerstrom of Massachusetts; five grandchildren, Jessica L. Fagerstrom, Dawn Fagerstrom, Vincent Fagerstrom, Matthew Fagerstrom and Maximillian Fagerstrom; and two great grandchildren, Ethan and Cohen Fagerstrom. Visitation will be from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at Carter Funeral Home Oglethorpe Chapel. Funeral services will be at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 20, 2009 at Carter Funeral Home Oglethorpe Chapel. Burial will follow in Oglethorpe Memorial Park with full military honors. Carter Funeral Home Oglethorpe Chapel www.carteroglethorpe.com Savannah Morning News August 18, 2009 Please sign our Obituary Guest Book at savannahnow.com/obituaries .
|FAGERSTROM, Vincent Anders (I21634)
Thomas P. Ivansek
NOVEMBER 23, 2010
Thomas P. Ivansek, age 87, of Omro, passed away Sunday, November 21, 2010, at Omro Care Center. He was born June 19, 1923, in Joliet, IL to Thomas and Victoria (Kozlowski) Ivansek. He proudly served his country in the US Army, 9th Armored Div during WWII. Tom married Virginia "Ginger" Bortoli on October 10, 1943, at St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Joliet, IL. They moved to Omro in 1980. Tom loved fishing, gardening and he was a talented handyman. Tom will best be remembered for his wonderful sense of humor.
Tom is survived and will be missed by his wife of 67 years, Ginger of Omro; his sons, Thomas R. and Terry, both of Omro and Ted (Robin) of Arcadia, Florida; his grandchildren, Mark (Pamela), Ashley and Holly Ivansek; step grandchildren, Kyle and April Morley; great grand children, Madison and Arabella; his brother, Richard of Phoenix; nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends. He was preceded in death by his parents and sister, Doris Kern.
In respect to Tom's memory, family and friends will gather at the funeral home on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 from 2:30 p.m. until the time of the Memorial Service at 5:30 p.m. with Sr. Pam Biehl officiating. The family would like to thank the staff at Omro Care Center and Dr. Ringwala for the care given to Tom and his family.
Kwiatkowski Funeral Home
|IVANSEK, Thomas P. (I31904)
Thursday, January 7, 1999 Edition
Waynesboro, Pa. - Russell Dolsay, 81, of 338 Strickler Ave., and formerly of Bloomingdale, N.J., died Wednesday, Jan. 6, 1999. after being hit by a vehicle on Pa. 16.
Born Feb. 25, 1917, in Bloomingdale, he was the son of the late Thomas and Martha Stagg Dolsay.
He retired in February 1978 from E.I.Dupont in Pumpton Lake, N.J., where he worked as a cap presser.
He is survived by his wife, Minnie Dolsay, whom he married June 30, 1950; a daughter Joann Buwalda of Waynesboro; a son, Robert Dolsay of East hanover, N.J.; two sisters, Ethel Loser of Butler, N.J., and Ruth Anderson of Pequaneck, N.J., and two grandsons.
Services will be Saturday at 11 a.m. at Lochstampfor Funeral Home, South Church and West Second streets, Waynesboro. the Rev. Walter Smith of First Assembly of God Church in Greencastle, Pa., will officiate. burial will be in Harbaugh Church Cemetery, Rouzerville, Pa.
the family will receive friends Saturday one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
|DOLSAY, Russell (I63376)
Elizabeth (Perement) Clason of Stamford, Connecticut, Who Was Tried for Witchcraft, and her Clason Descendants
Harlan R. Jessup
In 1692, at the same time as the witchcraft hysteria in Salem, Massachusetts, Elizabeth Clason and Mercy Disborough were tried as witches at the county seat in Fairfield, Connecticut. The case against Elizabeth has been well documented and is briefly summarized in this article. In a booklet dated 1959, which does not mention the case, Robert W. Carder1 summarized the Clason descendants of Elizabeth and her husband Stephen Clason of Stamford. That family summary, somewhat amended, follows the trial summary.
The Witchcraft Trial of Elizabeth Clason
Katherine Branch, a seventeen-year-old servant of the Clasons?s neighbors Daniel and Abigail Wescot, was subject to convulsive and paralytic seizures, and in the aftermath of several of these she accused Elizabeth, along with Mercy Disborough and several others, of bewitching her. Elizabeth vigorously denied the accusation but acknowledged there had been an ongoing tension between her and Katherine?s mistress, arising from a dispute over the weight of a quantity of spun flax. On another earlier occasion Elizabeth had chastised Mary Newman whose children had stolen some fruit from the Clason orchard. That evening three of the Newman?s sheep had died, and, finding no other cause, some believed them to have been bewitched. In May of 1692 a Court of Inquiry began hearings in Stamford
"Upon ye Information & sorrofull complainte of Serjeant Daniel Wescot in Regard of his maide Servant Katherine Branch whom he suspects to be afflicted pr witchcraft."
While hearings continued, Elizabeth Clason and Mercy Disborough were held in the county jail at Fairfield until the October conclusion of the trial. In June both Elizabeth and Mercy were put to the water test, being bound hand and foot and pushed into a deep pond or millrace where the guilty were expected to float because of the devil?s aversion to water. This test was already being discredited by New England cleric Increase Mather and by others. Elizabeth being
"bownd head & foote & put into the water she swam like a corck & one laboured to pry her into the water & she boyed up like a corck..."
On 4 Jun 1692, in Elizabeth?s defense, some seventy-six of her neighbors and friends signed a petition assuring the court that
"...we have not known her to be of a contentious frame nor giuen to use threatening words or to act maliciously towards her neighbors but hath bene siuil and orderly...and not to be a busybody..."
The special court, headed by Governor Robert Treat, was convened in Fairfield on 14 Sep 1692, and their formal indictment reads in part:
"Elizabeth Clawson is complayned of & accused as Guilty of witchcraft...for that on the 25th of Aprill ...& at sundry other times she hath by the Instigation & help of the divell...afflicted & don harme to the bodye & estates of sundry of [their Majesties?] subjects..."
The court heard evidence for several days, but after long deliberation the jury was unable to reach a conclusion in either case. The court reconvened on 28 October and, after additional testimony and further examination for ?witchmarks,? the jury found Elizabeth not guilty and she was freed, returning to her family in Stamford where she lived another 22 years to age 83. The jury found Mercy Disborough guilty and maintained this conclusion even after reconsideration. Apparently alarmed by the possibility of an execution, Governor Treat appointed a special committee, which reported in May 1693 that they had reprieved Mercy Disborough. Their report admonished against further such trials stating that
"...the miserable toyl they are in in the Bay [Massachusetts] for Adhereing to those last mentioned Litigious things is warning enof, those that wil make witchcraft of such things wil make hanging work apace...."
|PEREMENT, Elizabeth (I43915)
Killed and buried in Belchite, Zaragoza, Spain fighting against fascism in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.
|EATON, Henry Griffin (I86732)
Obit for Wayne Wilks Schaffer
born Nov. 1, 1918 in Auburn, Nemaha, NE.
died. Mar. 24, 2009 Rock Port, MO.
served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. inducted Jan. 21, 1942. He received an honorable discharge on Oct. 26, 1945.
He was married Aug. 3, 1944 to Emilie H. Langr in Sand Point, ID.
He graduated from Auburn High School in 1936. He then attended Peru State Teachers College for one year. and attended Cleveland Chiropractic College in Kansas City, MO. where he graduated as a Doctor of Chiropractic.
He was also production manager for Auburn, Machine Works. In 1965 resumed the practice of chiropractic in Rock Port, MO. and opened his own practice in Tarkio, Mo. in 1966. He retired in 1990.
His wife preceded him in death. Funeral services were held Mar. 28, 2009.
Rock Port, Mo.
Wayne Wilks Schaffer, 90, died Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Rock Port, Mo. He was born Nov. 1, 1918 in Auburn to Dr. Brady B. and Lora (Dodds) Schaffer.
Wayne attended Auburn High School and graduated in 1936. He then attended Peru State College for one year and Cleveland Chiropractic College in Kansas City, Mo., where he graduated as a doctor of chiropractic.
On Jan. 21, 1942, Wayne was inducted into the United States Navy and proudly served his country during World War II. While stationed in the Philippines, he served as a pharmacist mate and x-ray technician. He received his honorable discharge on Oct. 26, 1945.
On Aug. 3, 1944, he married Emilie H. Langr in Sand Point, Idaho. After returning from the service, the couple moved to Chicago, where Wayne did post-graduate studies at what is now the National University of Health Sciences. After practicing in Marshall, Mo., they moved back to Auburn, where Wayne worked as production manager for Auburn Machine Works. In 1965, he resumed the practice of chiropractic with Dr. Gallup in Rock Port, Mo. He opened his own practice in Tarkio, Mo., in 1966, retiring in 1990. He continued to live in Tarkio until recently.
He was an active member of the American Legion in Auburn and Tarkio, as well as the Legion?s Drum and Bugle Corp in Auburn. While there, he was a member of the Auburn Housing Board. As a member of the Auburn Christian Church and the Tarkio Christian Church, he served as deacon and elder. He was a member of various chiropractic associations and was a former Tarkio City councilman. Wayne also served on the Tarkio Housing Board. He joined the Auburn Eagles Club, where he developed a skill for dancing.
Since the age of 8, Wayne was an avid wood worker, a hobby by which he expressed his creative talents.
He is preceded in death by his wife, Emilie; one brother, Leon Schaffer; and one sister, Ruth Schaffer. He is survived by one son, Gary Schaffer and his wife, Martha, Nebraska City, and one daughter, Betsy Thomas and her husband, Jerry, Rock Port. Other survivors include seven grandchildren, Matthew Schaffer, Amy Reynolds, Lora Burki, Anne Reynolds, Mindy Walker, Clint Thomas and Kerry Thomas; six great-grandchildren, Brody Schaffer, Emilie Burki, Will and Ben Walker, Hannah and Carter Thomas; one sister, Muriel B. Reichardt; sister-in-law, Barbara Schaffer; numerous nieces and nephews.
Funeral services are at 10:30 a.m., Saturday, March 28, at Davis Funeral Home, Tarkio. Interment will be at Home Cemetery, Tarkio.
There is no scheduled family visitation. Open visitation will begin after 9 a.m. Friday, March 27, at Davis Funeral Home.
Memorials are suggested to Tarkio Christian Church or Home Cemetery, Tarkio.
|SCHAFFER, Dr. Wayne Wilks (I79479)
Mrs. Maggie (Slawson) Ferguson, 86 of 2440 St. Clair Ave., died at the Eden Village Care Center in Glen Carbon (Ill.) at 4:45 a.m. today, April 2, 1984. She was a resident of the care center since October 1983. Mrs. Ferguson was born December 3, 1898 in Miller County, MO, and moved to this area 59 years ago. She was a member of Bethel Chapel Pentecostal Church. Her husband, Sherman Ferguson, died in 1977.
Survivors include four sons, Lowell Ferguson, Granite City, Raymond Ferguson, Collinsville, Robert Ferguson of Maryville and Ralph Ferguson of Joplin, MO; three daughters, Mrs. Dorothy Aldridge, Fairview Heights, Mrs. Harold (Phoebe) Knecht, Placerville, Calif. and Mrs. Donald (Ruth) Hayes of Thayer, MO; a brother Everett Slawson of Crocker, MO; one sister, Mrs Albert (Blanche) Alexander of Dixon, MO; 19 grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren.
Visitation will begin at 4 p.m. Wednesday at Davis Funeral Home, 21st Street and Cleveland Boulevard. The Rev. Clifton Galiher will conduct services at 10 a.m. Thursday, April 5, at Bethel Chapel Pentecostal Church, 25th Street and Ohio Avenue, with burial in Sunset Hill Cemetery, Edwardsville Township.
Posted on Find a Grave
Created by: Nancy Arnold Thompson
|SLAWSON, Maggie Elizabeth (I51855)
Raymond H. Slawson, 61, of Panama City, Fla., passed away Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011, at a local hospital. Raymond was born in Panama City and was a graduate of Rutherford High School. He retired as a Master Sergeant after 20 years service in the U.S. Air Force. After retirement, Raymond worked for Lockeed-Martin Aircraft at Tyndall Air Force Base. He was a member of the Cedar Grove Baptist Church. He was predeceased by his father, Nelson L. Slawson.
Survivors include his wife, Patricia Slawson; children, Sean Slawson, Nelson Slawson, Monica Fernandez, Tabitha Slawson and Neysa Slawson; his mother, Frances Lewis; sister, Elouise Brooks; stepbrother, Charles Lewis and wife, Carolyn; three granddaughters; and one grandson.
A funeral service will begin at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011, at the Cedar Grove Baptist Church with the Rev. Charles Key officiating, and with full military honors by the U.S. Air Force. The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 28, 2011, at the funeral home.
2403 Harrison Ave.
Panama City, Fla. 32405
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsherald/obituary.aspx?n=raymond-h-slawson&pid=148109085#sthash.g4OZU8Cl.dpuf
|SLAWSON, Raymond Harold (I86957)
Charles W. "Bud" Willbee
WILLBEE, CHARLES W. "BUD"
Of Jackson, passed away at home under the loving care of his family and Hospice of Jackson and Oaklawn Wednesday, July 14, 2004, aged 81 years. Surviving are his wife of 60 years, Patricia "Pat"; three daughters, Marsha (Ron) Erickson of Winter Park, FL, Sara (Joe) Battles of Jackson, Patty (Jack) Friedman of Jackson; seven grandchildren, Lon Schreur, Mary Ford, Ryan and Adam Willbee, Jenna and Calvin Battles and Justin Friedman; three great-grand-children, Abigail, Elizabeth and William Ford; several nieces, nephews and their families. He was preceded in death by son, Charles W. Willbee, Jr. and brother, Richard S. Willbee. He served his country in the United States Army during World War II at the Invasion in Normandy. Co-owned and operated Willbee Concrete Products, was a lifetime member of the Masonic Lodge #17, a member of the Country Club of Jackson and the First United Methodist Church. Services will be held at the First United Methodist Church Saturday, July 17, 2004 at 11:00 a.m. The Reverend Ed Ross officiating. Interment Woodland Cemetery. Contributions may be made to the First United Methodist Church, Hospice of Jackson and Oaklawn or charity of ones choice.
Visitation at the WATSON FUNERAL CHAPEL Friday from 1 to 3 and 5 to 7 p.m.
J.L. Watson Funeral Chapel 2590 Spring Arbor Road Locally owned since 1930
Published in the Jackson Citizen Patriot on 7/15/2004.
|WILLBEE, Charles William (I70118)
|| Randy Muller of "Randy Muller's Family Tree on Rootsweb.com, he feels that naming Welthea (Wealthy) Morgan as a child of Joshua Morgan and Eunice Wilbur is hypothetical. Mainly because of the name similarities in Wealthy's children (Wilbur), and Wealthy herself, who may have been named after her paternal grandmother. I concur with Randy's findings. Until further research is done to show otherwise, I will be leaving Welthea Morgan as the daughter of Joshua Morgan and Eunice Wilbur. ||MORGAN, Weathea (I71354)
||" A Genealgical History of the Hoyt Family": He was taken captive by the Indians, and carried to a place a few miles notrh of Quebec. While in the city one day with his master, he was noticed by an agent of the Mass. government, who paid a sum of money for his ransom, and immedicately sent him home. He landed in Boston after an absence of two years and a half, and settled in his native town, Deerfield. A number of years after his return from captivity, his old master visited him and was entertained with great hospitality, much affection being manifested on both sides. ||HOYT, Lieut. Jonathan (I30413)
||" A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Simon Ingersoll was a noted inventor. His son Samuel C. writes: "I helped him build the first automobile ever made. It was in 1857 or 1858. We ran it by steam. We rode into Stamford with it one day and the Warden looked it over and said, "It is very dangerous and you must get it away at once. The boiler will burst or you will run over somebody, sure, yes, sure."|
"Gentlemen, I am going to stay just long enough to say, some of you standing here will see the day they will be just as common as horses and wagons are."
"The Steam Rock Drill, of course, is known the world over, capitalized for ten millions many years ago, but he was robbed out of everything and July, 1894 was penniless. Had he lived two or three months longer he would have had the first flying. He ad an anti-friction arrangement and the steamer "City of Chicago" was to be laid on dock to have it applied just a short time before he died. In fact he got his death cold by being in the water to apply it to a little boat. It would have saved from $300 to $500 a trip across the lake and back."
|INGERSOLL, Simon (I31789)
||" A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Benjamin was either killed in battle or died in service about 1704 during Queen Anne's War. He was not married. ||INGERSOLL, Benjamin (I64490)
||"A Collection of Family Records, with Biographical Sketches, and other memoranda of various families and individuals bearing the name DOUGLAS":|
....He removed from Plainfield to Old Canaan about 1746, and remained there some twenty years. In 1766 he removed with his family to what was at that time Jericho Hollow, Mass., but which was subsequently included in Stephentown, NY. His son William had preceded him the year before. When Asa came he brought with him a company of men who cleared thirty acres of land and built a large farmhouse. The nearest neighbor was four miles away, and they were obliged to go fourteen miles to the sawmill. The garret of the house, which is still ('77) standing in good repair, was used during the Revolutionary war as a jail, there being at that early day none in the county. Asa participated in the war, and led a company of thirty "Silver Grays" at the battle of Bennington, on the 16th of August, 1777, when the force of British and Indians sent to seize the stores collected at that place were defeated by the Americans under Col. John Stark. Asa continued to reside in Stephentown till the time of death, which occurred Nov. 12, 1792. His widow survived him some fourteen years, and died June 12, 1809.
|DOUGLAS, Asa (I68386)
||"A Collection of Family Records, with Biographical Sketches, and other memoranda of various families and individuals bearing the name DOUGLAS": he was admitted to the church, July 24, 1698. The next year he removed with his wife and two children to "the new plantation on the Quinnebaug, which was afterwards named Plainfield." Here lands were set off to him "on the east side of the river." He also owned lands in Voluntown, which he purchased of his father, Aug. 18, 1715, for "thirteen pounds of good and current money."|
He was one of the little company that covenanted together and formed a church in Plainfield, in 1705. The Rev.Joseph Coit was called to the charge of this little flock, and William Douglas was chosen the first deacon. In the old burial ground at Plainfield, an ancient gravestone bears this inscription:----
"in memory of Mr. William Douglas, Who was ye first Deacon of ye churh of Christ in Plainfield who departed this Life August ye 10th A.D. 1719 in ye 46th year of his Age."
Deacon Douglas died in the prime of life, and greatly lamented. All the church and town records, and all but a few files of the probate records, of Plainfield, were consumed at the burning of the town by Arnold, in 1781. Among the probate records saved, was the will of Dea. William Douglas. It was dated july 6, 1717, and proved Sept. 25, 1717. In it he provided for his wife, Sarah, and eleven children, all of the latter under twenty-ine years of age. His wife was Sarah Proctor, but no date of his marriage can be found in the New London records. His eldest two children were born in new London, all the others in Plainfield. His widow, Sarah, was living in 1729, but no record of her death has been found.
|DOUGLAS, Deacon William (I19628)
||"A Collection of Family Records, with biographical Sketches, and other Memoranda of Various Families and Individuals bearing the name Douglas": His eighteenth year was passed in the American army. he married, May 12, 1779, Hannah, daughter of Judge (James?) Brown and Hannah Douglas, of Pittstown. They settled in Stephentown, but subsequently removed to the town of Chazy, on the shore of Lake Champlain. "On the 15th of March, 1793, he landed at the lake shore of Chazy, with his family, of wife and seven children. His was the first English family which settled in this town." He was a man of great influence as the town became settled, and his death was mourned as an irreparable loss. He died at Plattsburgh, as he was on the way to visit his aged mother and his son in Albany, Oct. 16, 1808, fifteen years after his first arrival in Chazy. His widow passed the last years of her eventful and useful life in the family of her granddaughter in Chazy. Her vigor of body and mind were preserved to a remarkable degree to the end of her life. She died Oct 4, 1853, at the advanced age of nearly 93 years. ||DOUGLAS, CAPT. John (I68382)
||"A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of Benjamin Chamberlain of Sussex Co., New Jersey": Noah Talmage, of the State troops, located at Ogdensbur, then known as Sodom. He was a carpenter and assisted in building the Presbyterian church at Sparta.. ||TALMADGE, Noah (I56268)
||"A Genealogy of the Descendants of Alexander Alvord". ||Source (S04057)
||"A Genealogy of the Descendants of William Kelsey": Bethia possibly died about 1636 and William may have married a second wife shortly after this, who would thus have been the mother of the four younger children, and possibly of John. There is no mention of William Kelsey's wife in any known records. ||KELSEY, William (I67550)
||"A Genealogy of the Descendants of William Kelsey": That this Bethia Kelsey, wife of David Philips, was a daughter of William seems beyond contradiction. Hinman says that it was Bethia Kelsey, widow of William who became the wife of David Phillips of Milford, but the hartford Town Records disprove this by the record of Sept. 1665, when it was voted that "the town will give ten pounds to David phillips, of Milford provided he remove from hartford with Bethia Kelsy (wrongly copied as Kelly) his wife, at such a time as the townsmen appoint him." As William was living for at least 10 years after this meeting, it could not have been his widow who was here named, so it must have been a daughter. Nothing further is known of Bethia and her husband, David Phillips. ||KELSEY, Bethiah (I67553)
||"A Genealogy of the Hoyt families" shows the wife of David as being Rebecca Allis, daughter of Thomas Allis. ||HOYT, David (I30232)
||"A Genealogy of the Hoyt Families": Silas was blind; signed the deed of 1773 by mark, when he was living in "old Poundridge"; was living after 1802. It is supposed that he lost his sight after arriving at manhood. He was a devout Presbyterian, and after returning from meeting, could repeat much of the sermon, and sing the psalms and hymns employed. he recognized a lady after 30 yrs. had passed, by her voice alone. "Elder Lee" once preached a sermon on Bonapart as fulfilling the prophecy of Daniel, which he objected to printing, when requested to do so, because it was delivered without notes. Silas thought he could repeat it word for word, and undertook to supply any part that might be wanting. It is said that in his old age he lived in Amsterdam, NY with a dau. who m. ? Ambler. ||HOYT, Silas (I30637)
||"A Genealogy of The Ingersoll Family in America 1629-1925" - Jonathan Ingersoll was enrolled in the Westchester Co. Milita, 2nd New York Regt. under Col. Thos. Thomas. He is also recorded in the Westchester Co. Militia entitled to Land Bounty rights, 2nd Regt. Major Thaddeus Crane, Capt's Justus Harris and Jesse Holley. ||INGERSOLL, Jonathan (I64444)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Edward was a lawyer; published a Digest of Laws of U.S. from 1798 to 1820; also Abridgement of Acts of Congress now in force, excluding those of Private and Local Application; and poems under the pen name of Horace for Philadelphia Magazine. (See Keith-Appleton-Allibone) Class of 1808; U. of P.; ..... ||INGERSOLL, Edward (I64515)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Joseph reed Ingersoll was graduated at Princeton in 1804; studied law with his father and practiced extensively in Philadelphia. In 1835 he was elected to congress as a Whig and served till 1837 and again from 1843 till 1849. For a time he was chairman of the judiciary committee. He was an advocate for protection and a firm supporter of Henry Clay. One of his best efforts in the House was defense of Mr. Clay's tariff of 1842. In 1852 he was appointed by President Fillmire, minister to England, as successor to Abbott Lawrence, and held the office about one year wen he was succeeded by James Buchanan. He then retired to private life devoting himself to literary pursuits. The degree of L.D. was conferred on him by Lafayette and Bowdoin in 1836 and that of D.C.L. by Oxford in 1845.|
He was a warm adherent of the Union and at the time of the Civil War prepared an able essay entitled "Succession, a Folly and a Crime."
He published a translation fro the Latin of Roccus's tracts, "DeNavibus et Naulo," and "De Assecuratins" (Phila., 1809) and was the author of a "Memoir of Samuel Breck" (1863).
He also prepared many gentlemen for the bar, having been preceptor to over fifty and these he aided, on numerous instances, by every means in his power, both during their tutelage and after their admission to the bar, and always manifested a deep interest in their success.
Personally and socially he was a gentleman in the truest sense of the word. His manners were elegant and refined: his conversation easy ad interesting. His home was the seat of liberal hospitality; his board the constant scene of intellectual enjoyment.
His clarity was munificent and unbounded; he considered it a duty and a privilege to give. Unfortunate in the loss of his wife and children, the greater part of his later years was passed in childless widowhood. He was long a communicant member of the Episcopal Church and for many years a warden of St. Peter's Church.
No surviving issue - all buried in St. Peter's Churchyard, Philadelphia.
|INGERSOLL, Hon. Joseph Reed (I64514)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Benoni was slain by the French and Indians at Pascomuck, north end of Mount Tom, Northampton, May 13, 1704. ||JONES, Benoni (I64501)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Charles Jared received a liberal education; studied law and was admitted to the bar in Philadelphia. He then traveled in Europe and was attached to the U.S. Embassy in France.|
He was afterward elected to Congress as a Democrat, serving from 1813 till 1815, when he became U.S. District Attorney, and held that office until he was removed by Gen. Jackson in 1829. Soon afterward he served in the legislature. He was a member of the Canal and International.......Convention there in 1825 and also of the Reform Convention there in 1837, and in Philadelphia in 1838. In 1837 he was appointed secretary of legation to Prussia. He served again in Congress from 1841 till 1847, as chairman of the committee on foreign affairs, and distinguished himself as a Democratic leader. In 1847 he was nominated by President Polk, U.S. Minister to France, but was rejected by the Senate.
He was authro of "Chimara," a poem published in the "Portfolio" (1800); "Edwy and Elgira," a tragedy (Philadelphia, 1801); "Inchiquin, the Jesuit's Letters on american Literature and Polities" (New York, 1810); "Julian," a dramatic poem (1831); and a Historical Sketch of the Second War between the U.S. and Great Britian (4 vols., Phils., 1845-52). Joseph Bonaparte furnished him much material for the work. He also published numerous anonymous contributions to the "Democratic Press" of Philadelphia and to the "National Intelligencer" of Washington, on the controversies with England before the War of 1812; several "speeches" concerning that war (1813-15); a discourse before the American philosophical society on the "Influence of America on the Mind", which was republished in england and France (1823); a translation of a French work on the Freedom of navigation in the "American Law Journal" of 1829, and many other literary and political discourses. (Life of Charles Jared Ingersoll, by Wm. Meigs, J.B. Lippincott & Co.)
|INGERSOLL, Charles Jared (I64513)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Hannah is the daughter of the Hon. Col. Joseph Whiting of New Haven. Col. Whiting was the son of the Rev. John Whiting, fourth minister of Hartford, Conn., and Phebe, his wife, daughter of Thomas Gregson of New Haven, and grandson of Hon. William Whiting, one of the first settlers. ||WHITING, Hannah (I64506)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - He studied law with his father and removed with the family to Philadelphia in 1771. He there continued his studies with Pres. Joseph Reed, and was admitted to practice on april 26, 1773. In 1774 he was sent to London to finish his legal education and was entered at the Middle Temple, where he migrated to Paris at the end of 1776. Late in 1778, he returned to America and found that his father had retreated, owing to troubles which had befallen him. to New Haven. Nevertheless, under encouragement given him by Pres. Reed, he settled in Philadelphia, where he admitted to practice in the Supreme Court in April 1779.|
He served as Member of the Continental Congress from Pennsylvania in 1780-81, and as a delegate to the convention which formed the constitution of the U.S. in 1787; but, with these exceptions, devoted himself unremittingly to the business of his profession with signal success.
He was the first Attorney General of the State, from the adoption of the constitution of 1790 until 1799, and again from 1811 until his resignation in Dec. 1817.
He was also for a short time District Attorney of the U.S. for Pennsylvania and was offered the Chief Judgeship of the U.S. Circuit Court created for the Eastern district of Pennsylvania in 1801.
In polities he was conservative and in 1812 was selected in opposition or "anti-Madisonian" candidate for the office of Vice Pres. of the U.S. on the ticket with DeWitt Clinton. He received 86 electoral votes to 131 for Elbridge Gerry. After his sight had become impaired so that his work at the bar was impeded, he served from March 1821 until his death as Chief Judge of the District Court for the City and Court of Philadelphia.
The honorary degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred on him by the College of N.J. in 1821.
He died in Philadelphia Oct. 31, 1822 at the age of seventy-three years. He married Dec. 8, 1781, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Col. Charles Pellet of Philadelphia, who was also a niece of his friend, Pres. Reed, and who survived him......
|PELLET, Elizabeth (I64512)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - In the French and and Indian War, Simon Ingersoll was a private in Capt. Stephen White's Company of Stanwich (9th Regt.) which marched to the relief of Fort William Henry (Lake George), and was in service Aug. 1757. (Mead, p. 75)|
In the Revolutionary War, Simon Ingersoll was 1st Lieut. in Capt. Abraham Mead's Company; 1st Battalion (4th Co., Greenwich), Col. G.G. Silliman Conn. Militia in battle of White Plains, Oct. 25, 1776 (Mead, p. 126)
Simon Ingersoll was appointed 1st Lieut. June 1776, of 4th Co., Col. G.G. Silliman's Regt., Wadsworth's Brigade and was at the Battle of Long Island, Aug. 27, 1776. He contacted camp fever and died, 1777, at Stanwich, Conn. (Lineage Book, D.A.R., Vol. 22, p. 141)
|INGERSOLL, Lieut. Simon (I64540)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Jared Ingersoll was graduated from Yale in 1742, and in 1765 arrived in Boston from England charged with the commission of Stamp Master General for New England Colonies under George III, which Benjamin Franklin had advised him to accept. After the demonstrations against the obnoxious act in various parts of the colonies, Ingersoll, assured of the governor's protection, tried to reason the people of New Haven into forbearance. Surrounding his house, they demanded him to resign. "I know not if I have the power to resign," he replied. He promised, however, that he would re-ship any stamps that he received or leave the matter to their decision. He was finally compelled to offer his resignation, which was not satisfactory to the people of other sections, and, in order to save his house from an attack, he rode from New Haven, resolving to place himself under the protection of the legislature in Hartford. Several miles below Wethersfield he met a body of 500 men on horseback, preceded by three trumpeters and two militia officers. They received him and rode with him to Wethersfield, where they compelled him to resign his office. Entering a house for safety, he sent word of his situation to the governor and the assembly. After waiting for three hours the people entered the house. Ingersoll said: "The cause is not worth dying for," and made a written declaration that his resignation was his own free act, without any equivocation. "Swear to it," said the crowd; but this he refused. they then commanded him to shout "Liberty and property" three times, and throwing his hat into the air. He obeyed. He was then escorted by a large crowd to Hartford, where he read to the assembly the paper that he had just signed. About 1770 he was made admiralty judge of the middle district, and resided for several years in Philadelphia, after which he returned to New Haven. (Appleton's Cyclo. Am. Biob.) ||INGERSOLL, Jared (I64505)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Joseph was killed in battle during Queen Anne's War. He was unmarried.|
The following is an extract from the record found in the town book of Hatfield:
"An account of the desolation of Deerfield, the last day of Feb., 1704. Four Hundred of French and Indians, as is thought assaulted the Fort, took it, and killed and captured 162 of the inhabitants, and consumed most of their estates into flames." Among those who were killed in defending the fort was Joseph Ingersoll, and such fact is noted on the town record.
|INGERSOLL, Joseph (I64488)
||"A Genealogy of the Ingersoll Family" - Mrs. Hester Jones was captured and taken to Canada as a prisoner. She was obliged by her captors to make the whole journey on foot and suffered many hardships and was treated with much cruelty.|
She eventually died in Canada, after enduring many tortures by the French priests, in their vain endeavors to convert her from the Puritan faith to the Roman Catholic religion.
|INGERSOLL, Hester (I64483)
||"A Memoir and Genealogy of John Poore": John, born in Newbury, June 20 1711, where he always lived, on the old homestead of his father's, and died there Sept. 15 1783; was a farmer; also kept the ferry over Parker River, until 1758, when the bridge was built. Of his real estate transactions, we find the following on record: Sold to John Pearson, of Rowley, four and one-half acres of marsh, on the Neck, in 1742, and bought of John Hale, of Boxford, a parcel of marsh in Newbury, situated southerly of the Neck, in 1750.|
He was a juryman; held many town offices; took an active part in the Revolution, as we find his name on a petition to discourage British trade.
He made his will Aug. 9. 1782, in which is mentioned his wife and their children, all of whom were then living.
|POORE, John (I44790)
||"A Memoir and Genealogy of John Poore": John, born June 21, 1642; died February 15, 1700-1. Settled in Newbury, on the homestead of his father; took the oath of allegiance in 1678, when he was 36 years of age. He was on the jury; was frequently called to offices of trust in his native place, as overseer of wills, and appraiser of estates; was tything-man many years and constable to collect taxes, etc.|
He probably bought or sold but little real estate during his life; but his heirs sold the out-lands, most of which were in Rowley, to Joseph Plummer, Jr. in 1706/
In his will made July 12, 1700, proved March 3 following his decease, he mentions his wife Mary, and all his children excepting his first born, who died in infancy. He gave his homestead to his son Jonathan, with a provision that he pay the debts and legacies thereof.
|POORE, John (I44788)
||"A Memoir and Genealogy of John Poore": jonathan, born Feb. 25, 1678, settled on the old homestead at Newbury Neck, where his children were born, and where he died, June 30, 1742. He was a juryman most of the time for many years, until just previous to his decease. On important committees, tything-man and one of the selectmen of the town.|
About the time of his father's decease, he became of age. At this time he engaged in the real estate business, which he followed during the remainder of his life. In this respect he was more like his uncle Joseph, than his father and grandfather. He sold to his uncle Joseph Morse, a right in a "Rate Lott," that had belonged to his grandfather, in 1701. He bought of J. Wainright, on the Neck by Rowley, that had been owned by his grandfather and uncles Henry and Joseph Poore, in 1702, and sold it to his brother John Poore, in 1705. he exchanged land with Ezekiel Northend, in 1706. he bought of Joseph Ilsley, in 1711. He with Hale, Thurston and Plumers of the Neck, sold their right in common lands on the Neck to the Plumers, in 1715. He bought of Thomas Palmer and Jonathan Hopkinson, two parcels of land in Rowley, 1716. he sold to John Stewart, land in Rowley, 1721. He bought of Edward and Josiah Bishop, woodland near Thirla's farm, 1728, and sold it to Jonathan Plummer, the next year. He sold to Richard Adams, land in Newbury, 1731. he bought of Thomas Lambert, of Rowley, some of great swamp in Rowley, on Newbury line, 1736.
In his will, made Sept. 15, 1737, and proved July 5, 1742, he mentioned all his children, excepting the three that died in infancy.
|POORE, Jonathan (I44791)
||"A Memoir and Genealogy of John Poore": Jonathan, born on the old homestead of his ancestors, January 20, 1737; he there passed his life until its close, March 19, 1807. For a number of years he kept a public house. He was always greatly interested in military affairs, collecting a company of volunteers, and marching to the front in 1775. He afterwards commanded the company stationed in that part of Newbury. He took an active part in the French and Indian war and in the Revolution. He was appointed one of the committee for supplying the continental soldiers in 1778.|
Capt. Poore served the town from the time he was about thirty till near his decease, by filling various offices, and was several times on the jury when the county courts were in session.
About two years before his decease he made a will, in which he mentioned all his children with the exception of two, who died in infancy.
|POORE, Jonathan (I69207)
||"A Memoir and Genealogy of John Poore": Samuel settled on the homestead with his father, and died there June 6, 1878; was justice of the Peace, Selectman of the town, etc., but declined the military office of captain, which was offered him. ||POOR, Samuel (I69194)
||"A Merrill Memorial": Jonathan Merrill lived at brown's Spring in Newbury, half a mile wet of Artichoke River (now West Newbury). He was an ensign in Capt. William Davenport's company at the taking of Quebec, in June 1759. ||MERRILL, Jonathan (I39453)
||"A Potter-Richardson Memorial": Robert Burdick came in 1651 from England, settling in Newport, Rhode Island, where he was baptized November 19, 1652. He married November 2, 1655, Ruth Hubbard, 1640-1691, daughter of Samuel and Tacy (Cooper) Hubbard of Newport. He was admitted a freeman in 1657. By 1662, they had moved to Westerly, Rhode Island. She died in Westerly in 1691, and he died in 1692. ||BURDICK, Robert (I71157)
||"A Scofield Survey - Daniel Scofield (d. 1669), and Richard Scofield (1613-1670). ||Source (S04338)
||"A virtuous and worthy character." (Ezra Stiles's Diary, 3, p. 227)|
He graduated from Yale in 1740; served as tutor there for four years, became clerk of the Probate Court and afterwards Judge of that Court; represented New Haven in the General Assembly for nine sessions and later was a Judge of the County Court. For the last thirty years of his life he was Deacon in the First church. His epitaph truly states that "the last & much the Greater part of his life was Spent in the Service & to the acceptance of the Publick." (N.E. Col.Soc. Papers, 3, p. 607.)
"John Whiting, Esq., Clerk of the Courts was also a resident of this neighborhood. He was asked, previous to the possession of the town by the enemy, whether he would not make his escape. His reply was that he had not borne arms, that he was loyal to the king, and pointing to an engraving of King George, which hung on the wall of the room, he added: 'This will protect me.' but when the soldiers came into the house, they did not respect his claim of loyalty. He was holding an office under the "Rebel Government" and moreover was a Deacon in the First church, and they treated him much as the English Cavaliers would treat a Roundhead. He was carried off as a prisoner and so summarily, it is said, that he had not time to put on his wig." (New Haven Colony Historical Society Papers, 2, p. 75.)
His father being one of the Governor's Assistants and Judge of the Superior Court in 1740, he was placed at the head of his class at Yale in family rank. During the year 1741/2, he was Rector of the Hopkins Grammar School.
|WHITING, Deacon John (I83190)
||"Aaron Stark (1608-1685) Descendants Report: First Three Generations". ||Source (S03865)