|2. ||Josiah GATES was born 08 Mar 1681, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts (son of Thomas GATES and Elizabeth FREEMAN); died Aft 22 Aug 1763, Prob. in Colchester, Connecticut. |
- Will: 22 Aug 1763, Colchester, Conn.
Josiah married Grace RATHBONE 09 May 1714, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA. Grace (daughter of Joseph RATHBONE and Mary MOSHIER) was born 15 Jul 1695, Colchester, Connecticut; died Bef 15 Dec 1748. [Group Sheet]
|3. ||Grace RATHBONE was born 15 Jul 1695, Colchester, Connecticut (daughter of Joseph RATHBONE and Mary MOSHIER); died Bef 15 Dec 1748. |
- Mary GATES was born 03 Jul 1715, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA; died 08 Sep 1755, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Abigail GATES was born 13 Aug 1719, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Hannah GATES was born 05 Sep 1721, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Josiah GATES was born 15 Jan 1722/23, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA; died 22 Sep 1807, Ontario County, New York.
- Thomas GATES was born 03 Jul 1724, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA; died 12 May 1793, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA; was buried , Rathbone Graveyard in Salem, Connecticut.
- Grace GATES was born 08 Oct 1725, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA; died Between 01 and 09 Mar 1765, Lebanon, Connecticut; was buried , Old Yard Cemetery, Columbia, Tolland Co., Connecticut.
- Elizabeth GATES was born 08 May 1729, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA; died 07 Aug 1787.
- Samuel GATES was born 26 Dec 1730, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA; died Bef 05 Mar 1810.
- Sarah GATES was born 12 Nov 1732, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- 1. Anna GATES was born 31 Dec 1734, Colchester, New London Co. Connecticut.
|4. ||Thomas GATES was born Abt 1642, Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts (son of Stephen GATES and Ann BEARE); died 10 Aug 1726, Preston City, New London, Connecticut, USA. |
- Baptism: 03 May 1642, Hingham, Norfolk, England
- Will: 10 Jul 1723
- Fact: 08 Apr 1724, Codicil to the will
Excerpt from New England Historical and Genealogical Register: In Thomas's will his wife is not mentioned. He gave his new Bible to his son John of Stow. John had received land in Stow by gift of his father. He mentioned sons Joseph and Josiah who had received their portions, but he gave some more land to Joseph. He gave to son Caleb part of his homestead. Caleb's oldest son, Thomas, when he became of age, was to receive the rest of the homestead, "both lands, buildings and orchards, never to be sold or mortgaged.: He mentioned daughters Elizabeth Holmes, Deborah Standish, Abigail Fobes, Sarah and Ruth, then single and Mary Rose. The inventory amounted to 535.6s pounds. He was "of Norwich" in 1723, when he made his will, but his death was recorded in Preston. His land was probably partly in Norwich and partly in Preston.
Thomas married Elizabeth FREEMAN 06 Jul 1670, Sudbury, Massachusetts. Elizabeth (daughter of John FREEMAN and Elizabeth NOYES) was born 23 Jun 1648, Sudbury, Massachusetts. [Group Sheet]
|5. ||Elizabeth FREEMAN was born 23 Jun 1648, Sudbury, Massachusetts (daughter of John FREEMAN and Elizabeth NOYES). |
- Elizabeth GATES was born 12 Oct 1671, Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA; died 14 Dec 1726, Colchester, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Sarah GATES was born 20 Nov 1673, Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA.
- Mary GATES was born 10 Mar 1676, Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA; died 1737, Preston, Massachusetts.
- John GATES was born 09 Apr 1678, Sudbury, Massachusetts; died 19 Sep 1747, Stow, Mass.
- Joseph GATES was born 16 Mar 1679, Sudbury, Massachusetts; died 24 Oct 1742, Preston City, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- 2. Josiah GATES was born 08 Mar 1681, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died Aft 22 Aug 1763, Prob. in Colchester, Connecticut.
- Deborah GATES was born 22 Feb 1683, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died Bef 15 Jan 1745.
- Anna GATES was born 18 Jul 1686, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 27 Mar 1766, Preston, Massachusetts.
- Abigail GATES was born 18 Feb 1688, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 10 Jul 1774, Preston, Massachusetts.
- Caleb GATES was born 1693, Stow, Mass., or Possibly in Preston, Conn.; died 23 Sep 1774, Preston City, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Ruth GATES died Aft 15 Jan 1762.
|6. ||Joseph RATHBONE was born 1670, Block Island, Rhode Island (son of John RATHBONE and Margaret DODGE); died 1749, Exeter, Washington, Rhode Island. |
He was admitted freeman in 1696, with his brothers Thomas, William and John by the Rhode island Assembly of the colony of Rhode Island. His father and mother deeded to Joseph seventy acres and house. He had 25 acres of land on Common Neck. His father and mother deed him, Dec. 28, 1688 thirty-nine acres of land, and six acres at Harbor Neck, and ten acres next to my fifty acre lot, and the meadow beyond the Harbor Neck, fence and the old harbor. Deeds signed, John and Margaret Rathbone. On april 30, 1734, he was made freeman of North Kingstown....
Joseph married Mary MOSHIER 19 May 1691. Mary was born , Newport, Rhode Island; died 1748, Exeter, Washington, Rhode Island. [Group Sheet]
|7. ||Mary MOSHIER was born , Newport, Rhode Island; died 1748, Exeter, Washington, Rhode Island. |
- Rebecca RATHBONE was born 01 Mar 1694, Rhode Island; died 13 Feb 1727/28, New London, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- 3. Grace RATHBONE was born 15 Jul 1695, Colchester, Connecticut; died Bef 15 Dec 1748.
|8. ||Stephen GATES was born Bef 26 Dec 1597, Coney Weston, Suffolk, England (son of Eustace GATES and Rose WRIGHT); died Bef 29 Sep 1662, Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; was buried 1662, Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachsetts. |
- Baptism: 26 Dec 1597, Coney Weston, Suffolk, England
- Birth: 1600, Norwich, England; Norwich, Norfolk, England
- Immigration: 1638, From Hingham, England to America
I originally had Thomas Gates as the son of Peter and Mary Josselyn. However, after reading "the English Origins of Stephen Gates, 1638 Immigrant to Massachusetts, by Edward J. Harrison) (NEGH Jan2006, vol. 160) challenged Stephen's descent from Peter Gates and Mary Josselyn. Based on the dates given, it is impossible for Peter (born circa 1583) and Mary to be the grandparents of Stephen who was born circa 1600. The entries in the Hingham parish registers show no evidence that Stephen's father was named Thomas.
The Gates family is one of the ancient Colonial families of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the progenitor of the branch of the family here considered having been conspicuous in the early settlement of several of the towns in Massachusetts, which state has since been the home of numerous of his descendants, many of whom have been the leading spirits in their several communities, among whom may be mentioned the late Samuel Pearly Gates, of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, who broad charity, benevolence and high efficiency easily made him in many ways the guardian and counsellor of that community.
Stephen, the first of the name in New England was a native of England, born at Norwich, in the county of Norfolk, the son of Thomas Gates. Stephen came to New England in the ship "Diligent", in 1638. He settled first at Hingham, Massachusetts. He was accompanied by his wife and children. In1652 he located at Cambridge, and later at Lancaster, where he was one of the largest proprietors of the town, and was one of the petitioners for its incorporation in 1654; he was also constable there in 1657. Returning to Cambridge he spent the remainder of his life there where he died in 1662. He was admitted a freeman May 14, 1656, He was in Lancaster in 1656 and for a few years afterward, but disagreed with some of his neighbors and left town, returning to Cambridge. His will was dated June 9, 1662, and proved November 24, 1662.
Excerpt from "New England Historical and Genealogical Register": He settled in Hingham, Mass., where he received a grant of three acres for a house lot, twelve acres for a "greate Lott,: and a three acre planting lot. His house lot was on Town (now North) Street and was bounded on the north by the street, on the east by William Buckland's land and upon the west by the town swamp. In 1647 he received a grant of half an acre of salt marsh. On 26 June 1648 he sold his house lot, etc., to William Hersey, but remained in town for some time before his removal. Stephen Gates and his wife probably did not become members of the Hingham Church until about 3 May 1646, when their children Simon, Thomas, Isaac and REbecca were baptized. Birth dates of the children are not found in the Hingham town records...... In 1658 there was trouble between the Gates and Whitcomb families due to the fact that three sons of JOhn Whitcomb had killed three swine belonging to Stephen Gates. Whitcomb agreed to pay for the swine, but afterwared sought to be released from paying, claiming that he was "aged & Weak and mean in estate." The court decided that he must pay for the swine. It is stated that Stephen Gates was deprived of his constable's staff. This probably occurred after his failure to nitify the voters about the meeting, to which reference has been made. At the time of the Gates-Whitcomb trouble Stephen Gates was living in Sudbury, Mass..
by Margaret Mason
History recorder, Coney Weston/Knettishall
CONEY WESTON, SUFFOLK, ENGLAND
In June 1638 the ship "Diligent" sailed from Ipswich, Suffolk, England and arrived on August 10th 1638 at Boston, Massachusetts, USA. The majority on board were families from Hingham, Norfolk.
The passenger list included, STEPHEN GATES OF CONEY WESTON, his wife Anne, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary. He also had a four year old son Stephen who does not appear on the passenger list although he was later baptised at Hingham Massachusetts.
Stephen and Anne settled in Hingham MA, they had four more children who were baptised at Hingham church. Later the family moved to Lancaster MA, and finally Cambridge MA.
the founders of Hingham, Massachusetts left their original homes seeking a better life, free from discipline of the High Church, many selling their possessions for a fraction of their value. Hingham, Norfolk was forced to petition Parliament for aid, claiming that the departure of it's most wealthy citizens had left the town destitute.
Hingham, MA, originally called Bare Cove, grew through the efforts and determination of a handful of people to become a major port of entry, as well as a thriving fishing port.
THE ORIGIN OF THE SURNAME GATES
Two miles north of Coney Weston is the Little Ouse River is the border between Suffolk and Norfolk. There is a bridge across the river and on the Norfolk side is a tiny hamlet called "Gasthorpe". In 1066 its ancient name was "Gates thorpe"(1). In the Iveaugh-Phillips manuscripts dated 1463 there are references to land "be twyx" the 'Gatys' (2). As surnames evolved from a persons trade or place of origin and the fact that STEPHEN GAGTES father's name was in some instances written as GATYS there is a strong possibility that the GATES family originated from Gasthorpe.
After 1198 and before 1346 these three names occur in Gasthorpe:
Warine De Gatesthorp (3)
Sir Adam De Gatesthorp (3)
Sir John De Gatesthorp (3)
1300 Massive sandstorm, Gasthorpe & Knettishall deserted
(1) Thorpe: Old Norse for tiny hamlet
(2) Held at Suffolk Records office Ipswich.
(3) An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk volume I Author Francis Blomefield. Year published 1805. pp 250-254
Stephen married Ann BEARE 05 May 1628, Hingham, Norfolk, England. Ann (daughter of VEARE) was born Abt 1603, Norwich, England; died 19 Feb 1682, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. [Group Sheet]
|9. ||Ann BEARE was born Abt 1603, Norwich, England (daughter of VEARE); died 19 Feb 1682, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. |
E-mail from Margaret Mason, dated 7/31/2013 states the following:
"The surname VEARE is most probably BEARE. I have studied the original and have a copy of the Parish Registers for Hackford/Reepham held at Norwich Records Office which gives the marriage of Stephen GATES Ann BEARE 5th May 1628. It is difficult to read and can see why the B was mistaken for V. The surname BEARE is quite common in that area."
Because of this e-mail, I will be making the change from VEARE to BEARE, unless further proof proves otherwise.
- Simon GATES was born 1645, Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; died 26 Aug 1692, Muddy River (Brookline), Norfolk, Mass..
- Isaac GATES died 03 Sep 1651, Hingham, Norfolk, England.
- Stephen GATES was born Abt 1634, Norfolk, England; died 09 Jul 1707, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- 4. Thomas GATES was born Abt 1642, Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; died 10 Aug 1726, Preston City, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Mary Adell GATES was born Abt 1630; died 22 Dec 1711, Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA.
- Rebecca GATES died Jan 1650, Hingham, Norfolk, England.
- Elizabeth GATES was born Abt 1630, Hingham, Norfolk, England; died 03 Aug 1704, Hingham, Norfolk, England.
|13. ||Margaret DODGE (daughter of Tristram DODGE and Ann MANSFIELD). |
- Thomas RATHBONE was born 1657, Block Island, Rhode Island; died 20 Dec 1733.
- John RATHBONE, Jr. was born 1658, Roxbury, Massachusetts; died 1723.
- Sarah RATHBONE was born 10 Jun 1659.
- William RATHBONE was born 1661; died 1727.
- 6. Joseph RATHBONE was born 1670, Block Island, Rhode Island; died 1749, Exeter, Washington, Rhode Island.
- Samuel RATHBONE was born 3 Aug 1672, Block Island, Rhode Island.