|2. ||Daniel GATES was born 25 Apr 1685, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts (son of Stephen GATES and Sarah WOODWARD); died 22 Mar 1759, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. |
Daniel settled on a farm in Stow, on land which was purchased from Indians in 1684 by his father. Here Daniel Gates made his home all his lfie, and took quite an active part in town affairs.
Excerpt from "New England Historical and Genealogical Register": Daniel lived on a farm at Sprindle Hill, Stow, which was part of the farm owned by his father. By a deed, made 25 March 1741 and recorded 20 May 1757, he conveyed the farm to his son Silas. He searved as selectman in 1724, 1738, 1747, 1751 and 1752; also served on town committees and as tithingman and fence viewer.
Daniel married Anna ? Abt 1714. Anna was born Abt 1684; died 09 Aug 1759, Stow, Massachusetts. [Group Sheet]
|3. ||Anna ? was born Abt 1684; died 09 Aug 1759, Stow, Massachusetts. |
- Silas GATES was born 10 Jul 1718, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 16 Jun 1779, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- Margaret GATES was born 23 Mar 1721.
- Paul GATES was born 10 Jul 1718, Stow, Massachusetts.
- Elizabeth GATES was born 30 May 1724; died 16 Jun 1791.
- Thomas GATES was born 20 May 1715, Stow, Massachusetts; died 20 Apr 1740.
- Reuben GATES was born 12 Dec 1716, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 15 Dec 1787, Leominster, Worcester Co., Massachusetts.
- 1. Anna GATES was born 05 Jul 1722.
|4. ||Stephen GATES was born Abt 1634, Norfolk, England (son of Stephen GATES and Ann BEARE); died 09 Jul 1707, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. |
- Immigration: 1638, From England with parents
- Will: 05 Sep 1701, Stow, Middlesex Co., Mass
- Will Proved: 15 Sep 1707, Stow, Middlesex Co., Mass
Stephen came to this country with his parents, locating in the town of Hingham, Massachusetts. Later he removed to Boston. But in 1673 bought a tract of 300 acres of land on the Assabet river, in the town of Stow, and ws one of the first proprietors of that town. His brother Thomas also located at Stow, and the name of Gates has been numerous there. He was one of the early proprietors of the town of Preston, Connecticut, and some of his children settled there. He remained in Stow. His will was dated September 5, 1701, and proved in 1707.
Stephen married Sarah WOODWARD Abt 1664, Stow, Middlesex, Massachusetts. Sarah (daughter of George WOODWARD and Mary GIBSON) was born Between 03 Feb 1642 and 1643, Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.; died Aft 15 Sep 1707, Stow, Middlesex, Mass.. [Group Sheet]
|5. ||Sarah WOODWARD was born Between 03 Feb 1642 and 1643, Watertown, Middlesex, Mass. (daughter of George WOODWARD and Mary GIBSON); died Aft 15 Sep 1707, Stow, Middlesex, Mass.. |
- Stephen GATES was born 17 Jul 1665, Lancaster, Worcester, Massachusetts; died 04 Nov 1732, Preston City, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Simon GATES was born 05 Jun 1667, Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 1752, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- Thomas GATES was born 31 Dec 1669, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts; died Bef 26 Aug 1752, Preston, New London, Connecticut; was buried , Cove Burial Grounds.
- Isaac GATES was born 1673, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA; died 22 Nov 1748, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- Sarah GATES was born 27 Apr 1679, Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts; died 21 Jan 1724, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- Nathaniel GATES was born Abt 1675, Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts; died 06 Dec 1731, Stow, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
- Rebecca GATES was born 23 Jul 1682, Stow, Middlesex, Massachusetts; died 21 Jan 1754, Stow, Middlesex, Massachusetts; was buried , Lower Vilage C., Stow, Massachusetts.
- 2. Daniel GATES was born 25 Apr 1685, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 22 Mar 1759, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
|8. ||Stephen GATES was born Bef 26 Dec 1597, Coney Weston, Suffolk, England (son of Eustace GATES and Rose WRIGHT); died Bef 29 Sep 1662, Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; was buried 1662, Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachsetts. |
- Baptism: 26 Dec 1597, Coney Weston, Suffolk, England
- Birth: 1600, Norwich, England; Norwich, Norfolk, England
- Immigration: 1638, From Hingham, England to America
I originally had Thomas Gates as the son of Peter and Mary Josselyn. However, after reading "the English Origins of Stephen Gates, 1638 Immigrant to Massachusetts, by Edward J. Harrison) (NEGH Jan2006, vol. 160) challenged Stephen's descent from Peter Gates and Mary Josselyn. Based on the dates given, it is impossible for Peter (born circa 1583) and Mary to be the grandparents of Stephen who was born circa 1600. The entries in the Hingham parish registers show no evidence that Stephen's father was named Thomas.
The Gates family is one of the ancient Colonial families of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the progenitor of the branch of the family here considered having been conspicuous in the early settlement of several of the towns in Massachusetts, which state has since been the home of numerous of his descendants, many of whom have been the leading spirits in their several communities, among whom may be mentioned the late Samuel Pearly Gates, of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, who broad charity, benevolence and high efficiency easily made him in many ways the guardian and counsellor of that community.
Stephen, the first of the name in New England was a native of England, born at Norwich, in the county of Norfolk, the son of Thomas Gates. Stephen came to New England in the ship "Diligent", in 1638. He settled first at Hingham, Massachusetts. He was accompanied by his wife and children. In1652 he located at Cambridge, and later at Lancaster, where he was one of the largest proprietors of the town, and was one of the petitioners for its incorporation in 1654; he was also constable there in 1657. Returning to Cambridge he spent the remainder of his life there where he died in 1662. He was admitted a freeman May 14, 1656, He was in Lancaster in 1656 and for a few years afterward, but disagreed with some of his neighbors and left town, returning to Cambridge. His will was dated June 9, 1662, and proved November 24, 1662.
Excerpt from "New England Historical and Genealogical Register": He settled in Hingham, Mass., where he received a grant of three acres for a house lot, twelve acres for a "greate Lott,: and a three acre planting lot. His house lot was on Town (now North) Street and was bounded on the north by the street, on the east by William Buckland's land and upon the west by the town swamp. In 1647 he received a grant of half an acre of salt marsh. On 26 June 1648 he sold his house lot, etc., to William Hersey, but remained in town for some time before his removal. Stephen Gates and his wife probably did not become members of the Hingham Church until about 3 May 1646, when their children Simon, Thomas, Isaac and REbecca were baptized. Birth dates of the children are not found in the Hingham town records...... In 1658 there was trouble between the Gates and Whitcomb families due to the fact that three sons of JOhn Whitcomb had killed three swine belonging to Stephen Gates. Whitcomb agreed to pay for the swine, but afterwared sought to be released from paying, claiming that he was "aged & Weak and mean in estate." The court decided that he must pay for the swine. It is stated that Stephen Gates was deprived of his constable's staff. This probably occurred after his failure to nitify the voters about the meeting, to which reference has been made. At the time of the Gates-Whitcomb trouble Stephen Gates was living in Sudbury, Mass..
by Margaret Mason
History recorder, Coney Weston/Knettishall
CONEY WESTON, SUFFOLK, ENGLAND
In June 1638 the ship "Diligent" sailed from Ipswich, Suffolk, England and arrived on August 10th 1638 at Boston, Massachusetts, USA. The majority on board were families from Hingham, Norfolk.
The passenger list included, STEPHEN GATES OF CONEY WESTON, his wife Anne, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary. He also had a four year old son Stephen who does not appear on the passenger list although he was later baptised at Hingham Massachusetts.
Stephen and Anne settled in Hingham MA, they had four more children who were baptised at Hingham church. Later the family moved to Lancaster MA, and finally Cambridge MA.
the founders of Hingham, Massachusetts left their original homes seeking a better life, free from discipline of the High Church, many selling their possessions for a fraction of their value. Hingham, Norfolk was forced to petition Parliament for aid, claiming that the departure of it's most wealthy citizens had left the town destitute.
Hingham, MA, originally called Bare Cove, grew through the efforts and determination of a handful of people to become a major port of entry, as well as a thriving fishing port.
THE ORIGIN OF THE SURNAME GATES
Two miles north of Coney Weston is the Little Ouse River is the border between Suffolk and Norfolk. There is a bridge across the river and on the Norfolk side is a tiny hamlet called "Gasthorpe". In 1066 its ancient name was "Gates thorpe"(1). In the Iveaugh-Phillips manuscripts dated 1463 there are references to land "be twyx" the 'Gatys' (2). As surnames evolved from a persons trade or place of origin and the fact that STEPHEN GAGTES father's name was in some instances written as GATYS there is a strong possibility that the GATES family originated from Gasthorpe.
After 1198 and before 1346 these three names occur in Gasthorpe:
Warine De Gatesthorp (3)
Sir Adam De Gatesthorp (3)
Sir John De Gatesthorp (3)
1300 Massive sandstorm, Gasthorpe & Knettishall deserted
(1) Thorpe: Old Norse for tiny hamlet
(2) Held at Suffolk Records office Ipswich.
(3) An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk volume I Author Francis Blomefield. Year published 1805. pp 250-254
Stephen married Ann BEARE 05 May 1628, Hingham, Norfolk, England. Ann (daughter of VEARE) was born Abt 1603, Norwich, England; died 19 Feb 1682, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. [Group Sheet]
|9. ||Ann BEARE was born Abt 1603, Norwich, England (daughter of VEARE); died 19 Feb 1682, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. |
E-mail from Margaret Mason, dated 7/31/2013 states the following:
"The surname VEARE is most probably BEARE. I have studied the original and have a copy of the Parish Registers for Hackford/Reepham held at Norwich Records Office which gives the marriage of Stephen GATES Ann BEARE 5th May 1628. It is difficult to read and can see why the B was mistaken for V. The surname BEARE is quite common in that area."
Because of this e-mail, I will be making the change from VEARE to BEARE, unless further proof proves otherwise.
- Simon GATES was born 1645, Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; died 26 Aug 1692, Muddy River (Brookline), Norfolk, Mass..
- Isaac GATES died 03 Sep 1651, Hingham, Norfolk, England.
- 4. Stephen GATES was born Abt 1634, Norfolk, England; died 09 Jul 1707, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- Thomas GATES was born Abt 1642, Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; died 10 Aug 1726, Preston City, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Mary Adell GATES was born Abt 1630; died 22 Dec 1711, Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA.
- Rebecca GATES died Jan 1650, Hingham, Norfolk, England.
- Elizabeth GATES was born Abt 1630, Hingham, Norfolk, England; died 03 Aug 1704, Hingham, Norfolk, England.
|10. ||George WOODWARD was born 1619, St. Botolph, Billingsgate, England (son of Richard WOODWARD and Rose STEWART); died 31 May 1676, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. |
George Woodward came to America with his parents in 1634, then aged 15 years. he was admitted freeman in Watertown, Mass., may 6, 1646. He was Selectman in 1674. Adm. was granted on his estate June 20, 1676, to widow, Elizabeth, and son Amos.
Elizabeth (Hammond) Woodward inherited 100 acres of land in the bounds of Brookline, Mass., by will of her father, Nov 5, 1675.
George married Mary GIBSON 1640, Watertown, Middlesex, Mass. Mary (daughter of Joseph GIBSON) was born Abt 1625, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died Bef 17 Aug 1659, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. [Group Sheet]
|11. ||Mary GIBSON was born Abt 1625, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts (daughter of Joseph GIBSON); died Bef 17 Aug 1659, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. |
- Daniel WOODWARD was born 02 Sep 1653, Watertown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts; died 31 Jul 1713, Watertown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts.
- John WOODWARD was born 20 Mar 1649, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 1728.
- Rebecca WOODWARD was born 30 Dec 1647, Watertown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts.
- Susanna WOODWARD was born 30 Sep 1651, Watertown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts; died 19 Dec 1671.
- 5. Sarah WOODWARD was born Between 03 Feb 1642 and 1643, Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.; died Aft 15 Sep 1707, Stow, Middlesex, Mass..
- Mary WOODWARD was born 03 Jun 1656, Watertown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts.
- Mary WOODWARD was born 12 Aug 1641, Watertown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts; died 23 Aug 1718.
- Amos WOODWARD was born Abt 1646, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 09 Oct 1679, Massachusetts, USA.